Every day I have a green smoothie for breakfast…
Watcha got there? How’d you make that? Always one of the first great questions I get asked! Well, it’s a pretty simple, and always tasty, combo: leafy greens + fruit + water … and maybe some fancy additions if I’m in the mood. It may seem like a crazy breakfast fad, but honestly once you try a green smoothie, you’ll more likely to become insanely addicted! Trust me, there is nothing better than sipping handfulls of fresh, leafy greens in a delightful fruit fusion fashion. Right?
There are a lot of complicated and fancy green smoothie recipes out there, but I’m here to show you how to blend up a really simple and tasty green smoothie for breakfast every morning in about 1 minute flat. That’s way faster then toasting that bagel and making that cup of coffee you’re used to in the morning!
Not to mention, dark leafy greens are packed with disease fighting antioxidants, contain high-quality amino acids, important minerals, vitamins, and beneficial phytonutrients. They give you loads of energy, clean plant protein, and keep your skin clear and your system regular. They even help you lose bloating, and pounds!
Now, all you need is a great blender (it’s worth the investment!) and lets get to it, super fast!
THE 1-MINUTE GREEN SMOOTHIE:
1/2-2 cups of water (add ice if using only fresh fruit)
2-3 handfuls leafy greens
2 cups of fresh or frozen fruit
Pour water, then greens, then fruit into your blender. Start with 1/2 cup water and add more as needed.
Turn motor on and up for less than a minute.
Pour into a cute mason jar or cup of your choosing.
Sip like a rockstar (or supermodel… hehe).
You can use any kind of greens or fruit that you like. I use a lot of spinach, kale and romaine.
Using Greens: Tips and Tricks
1. Buy pre-washed, pre-cut organic greens and store them for a week in the fridge. Then just grab handfuls every morning.
2. Baby spinach is the mildest of greens and the flavor gets completely masked by the fruit.
2. Adding a dash or lemon or lime cuts the bitterness of kale instantly.
3. I like to add herbs (cilantro, parsley, mint, etc.) whenever I happen to have them in the house. Use parsley in your pesto last night? Why not add it to your smoothie this morning?
4. Throw in an inch of ginger. It complements the greens and stirs up some internal warmth when you drink it. It’s especially great in the winter when you want something to warm you up!
Using Fruit: Fresh or Frozen
1. Use 2 to 3 organic fruits per smoothie. Favorite combos:
peach + banana,
pineapple + mango + blueberry (current fav),
apple + pear,
banana + mixed berries,
pear + blueberry
… the possibilities are endless!
2. Using frozen fruit makes your life easier. Just buy bags of your favorite organic pre-cut fruit and pop them in the freezer. They are always there when you need them and it eliminates the need to add ice to your smoothies.
2. Bananas getting to ripe? Peel, cut and pop them in the freezer. They will last forever and add sweetness to any simple smoothie.
3. Add half a fresh Avocado for creaminess and good for you fat. This will make your green smoothie super thick and satisfying!
Boosts (aka. Fancy Additions)
1. Almond Butter – An excellent source of fat and protein. Fresh and raw is the way to go with this creamy concoction.
2. Chia/Flax/Hemp Seeds – Adds a helping of good for you Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and protein – a little goes a long way.
3. Dried Fruit – Dates, prunes, raisins, dried cranberries can sweeten without the use of any sugar.
4. Oats – Just adding 1/4 cup will instantly make this the most filling breakfast. Will keep you going all morning.
5. Cocoa – Try blending frozen banana, raw cocoa and a handful greens + water. Add some cacao nibs for a little crunch. My-oh-my!
6. Cinnamon/Nutmeg – Try blending, fresh apple, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and a-bit-o spinach + water/ice. It’s like an apple pie!
If you follow these fun and fabulous simple green smoothie tips, I promise your green smoothies will be so easy to make and it will be love at first sip! Remember all you really need is leafy greens + fruit + water. You can add in any of these other yummies if you have an extra minute. Make smoothies ahead for the perfect fast food – just grab and go straight out of the fridge. These little jars of green goodness can usually be stored up to two days so blend away and enjoy the best ever breakfast…lunch, snack, or din-din…to your hearts delight!