If you haven’t already guessed it I’m going to let you in on a little secret. My hubby’s favorite food in the whole world is… pasta!
Yup, he likes pasta so much that I swear he should have been born Italian. He’s one to fully admit that he is a pasta loving herbivore… There is something about the belly filling, carb loading, endless sauce and veggie combinations dish for him. It’s a complete meal, served hot, in a bowl, just the way he likes it.
And I have to say other than the fact that Indian food calls to him in a down home, soulful type of way, he could have just as easily been raised in Italy.
I’m quite convinced that at some point in our lifetime he would have wanted to move there (or maybe just take a sabbatical)… except for the fact that he almost got robbed by a policeman and put in jail on a train outside of Rome when he was 19… but that’s another story.
Yes, us Indians who have grown up in America have no idea how to deal with a crooked and corrupt local government. We’re just way too innocent. And so that, may have ended the dream for him… But he will never let go of his pasta!
This completely vegan and nut-free pesto comes together in less than a minute and is so creamy you won’t stop licking your spatula. It completely changes the definition of pesto for me in that it’s not oily, yet still super creamy, and loaded with power packed über healthy ingredients.
Replacing the usual handful of walnuts with the sunflower seed butter is the genius move that makes this pesto great for anyone with nut allergies or intolerances. And you don’t even notice the omission of the usual cheese, because the flavor and texture come together so perfectly.
In less than an hour’s time toss it all together and dig right in. Variations of kale pesto are some of my favorite ways to sneak in the power packed king of greens into my kids’, and husband’s, tummies. And the oven roasted tomatoes add a burst of concentrated, caramelized tomato flavor into every bite.
- ¾ lb. garofalo pasta (or other similar)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups basil, packed, leaves only
- ½ cup baby kale, packed
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp. sesame seed butter
- ½ large lime, juiced
- ⅓ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. water
- For the roasted tomatoes: Preheat the oven to 400 deg F. Place the tomatoes in an oven proof baking dish, toss with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, tossing once half way through. Tomatoes should reduce a bit in size and flavors should concentrate. Remove and set aside.
- For the pasta: Boil water and cook the pasta according to directions on the package. During the last 2 minutes of boiling, add in 1 cup of the frozen peas. Drain pasta and set aside.
- For the pea pesto: Meanwhile, in a food processor, add the garlic cloves, basil, kale, frozen peas, sesame seed butter, lime juice, salt and pepper. Pulse and slowly pour in the olive oil, followed by the water. Pulse until everything is combined and s smooth sauce comes together.
- To assemble: Add the pesto and tomatoes to the pasta and peas, Taste for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Serve immediately, topped with vegan parmesan cheese.