Hello Spring. Why have you not shown your face in the Pacific Northwest yet?
It’s rainy and cold and I’m in desperate need of some sunshine. If you’re in the same boat, I’ve got the perfect simple, hot, creamy, roasted, flavorful vegan tomato soup recipe for you.
Nothing says warm and snuggly as a cup of robust and soul-soothing tomato soup. Right? Especially when it’s loaded with oh so good for you nutrients like lycopene, high levels of vitamin C, folate, potassium, fiber and so much more.
The best part about this soup making is the leftovers – because next day soup is where it’s at. Trust me, you’ll want to make a large batch and store away the leftovers. The flavors just get intensified with time.
And when that cold green breakfast smoothie has left you sitting at your desk snuggled up in your cuddly sweater and in your favorite slipper socks you’ll be ready to slurp up this mug of body hugging warmth.
Roasted garlic, red pepper and onion add depth of flavor while cashews makes it oh so creamy. Add in some sweet basil and the crunch of fresh homemade croutons and it literally could not get any better my friends. Enjoy this on a cold and rainy (or hot and humid, yes I’m taking to you Texas!) night.
- 2 red bell peppers, seeds removed, cut into 2 inch squares
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in very hot water for at least 15 minutes
- 8 large vine tomatoes, seeds removed, cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- sea salt and pepper
- fresh basil to serve (optional)
- *1 tablespoon coconut or brown sugar (optional)
- ½ loaf day old crusty bread, cut into 1 in cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Place the red pepper, onion, and whole garlic cloves on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil and a generous pinch of sea salt and pepper. Toss. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the red pepper is tender and just starting to brown. Remove and set aside.
- Now toss the bread in the olive oil and add a generous pinch of sea salt and pepper. Place on a clean baking sheet and then in the oven and let brown for about 10-15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, on medium heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add the roasted veggies, the vine tomatoes and the tomato paste. Stir, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain the water from the cashews.
- Once the tomatoes have released their water and cooked through add everything, plus the cashews to a blender. Blend until creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with chopped basil and croutons.